Have any plans for Saturday, February 18th? Now you do! It’s National Drink Wine Day in the United States. If you love drinking wine, this is the holiday for you. It doesn’t matter if you're a fan of red wine, white wine, or rose, National Drink Wine Day is here for all wine drinkers to enjoy their favorite beverage.
Did You Know?
You might have heard rumors flying about wine actually being good for you. Yes, this might sound absolutely crazy at first. Typically, we think of drinking wine as an indulgence reserved for special occasions, and typically paired with a delicious food like cheese or dessert.
Now, it’s time for you to know the truth! Many sources actually do report that wine can be healthy (in moderation of course). Here are some of the benefits that Food & Wine says you might get from drinking wine:
- Drinking wine can help you live longer. Apparently, a study conducted by Finnish researchers found that people who drink wine have a 34% lower mortality rate than beer or spirits drinkers.
- Drinking wine can reduce your risk of heart disease. This is for you red wine lovers out there. Red wines specifically contain both procyanidins and tannins which reports claim can shield you against heart disease.
- Drinking wine can make you less prone to getting cataracts. If you drink a moderate amount of any type of alcohol you’ll be 32% less at risk of cataracts than people who don’t drink. Even better, if you’re a wine drinker you are 43% less at risk than beer drinkers.
All of this sounds pretty great, right? While studies are still being conducted and benefits are being uncovered, remember it is important to talk to your doctor if you want to get more of the inside scoop on wine drinking. Your doctor knows you best and will be able to help you decide if drinking moderate amounts of wine might be beneficial for you.
How to Celebrate (hint: it involves wine)!
So, now that you have the excuse that wine can actually be good for you, you’re probably ready to celebrate National Wine Day. Here are some great ways to enjoy the day, especially since it’s on a weekend this year!
- Plan a winery tour – There are lots of small and privately owned wineries all across America. Doing a quick online search in your region will show you which wineries are in your area. Even better, you can hire a limo or car service to take you around to the different places. There are some car services that have pre-arranged winery tours planned out. These are great ways to sample all different types of wine in one day with a scheduled designated driver. When you find a wine you like, you’ll be able to pick up a bottle on-site, making a tour the ultimate way to celebrate.
- Go on a picnic –Plan a picnic centered around wine. Gather your friends in a nearby park and have everyone bring their favorite bottle of wine and a snack that pairs nicely. It’s also a good idea to bring a lot of plastic cups so you don’t end up mixing wines and dulling the flavors.
- Have a wine and cheese night – It’s always fun to have people over, and this is the perfect excuse to have a relaxing evening at home with your friends. Wine and cheese is the perfect low-key way to celebrate National Drink Wine Day while also getting to eat food that matches the wine perfectly. Get a wide variety of cheeses such as hard, soft, sharp, and mild and some delicious olives and sausage or prosciutto. Voila! You have the perfect party theme, without having to cook a huge meal.
While you’re celebrating, it is good to remember that drinking wine does have one drawback – it can cause some problems for your teeth. First, the acid in wines can really damage your teeth as the acid can soften the enamel, which can be worn away leaving the nerves below exposed, which can lead to pain and tooth sensitivity. Tooth sensitivity is pretty painful, so make sure you brush your teeth well and don’t overdo it on the wine. Secondly, darker wines can really stain your teeth. If your teeth are looking dull or stained, there is a pretty easy way to help – started using whitening products. Try an at-home whitening kit to make those stains vanish and bring your teeth to that dazzling white shade you desire.
It’s Time to Celebrate!
Now that you know the wonderful benefits that wine can bring, and how to guard yourself against the drawbacks, it’s time for you to celebrate. Have fun this February 18th on National Drink Wine Day!